Our story is ver very ancient…
The history of the ‘little building’ (as it was called at the time this building) begins around 1910 after the Romboli family (already present in the territory of Guasticce since 1835), he received an inheritance by one of a ‘landowner widowed aunt’ Collesalvetti who had purchased both the land that the existing buildings, called ‘Le Casette’, forming part of the oldest part of the town built along the road Livorno Hills, then a dirt road.
On the ground floor of one of these buildings it was then located an old ‘posteria’, ie a resale of coffee, wine, spirits, tobacco and other monopolies and refreshment for travelers with carts that reached by the campaign of Livorno market. The ‘house’, built by a local young entrepreneur, has a facade with stucco friezes and relief (which will be emphasized at the time of restructuring), which refer, albeit in a simple way, some of the typical Liberty style in vogue in the early twentieth century. It can also be considered the first of some other similar buildings in the country with some requirements that gave an impression noble than the existing buildings of purely agricultural environment.
Infact, the ‘house’ is to be raised by three steps compared to neighboring houses built at the level of the ancient roadway, has an atrium with vaulted ceiling (now restored) that gave access to a wide stone staircase, from whose mezzanine He has been accessing a room used as a toilet. Following a first restructuring, which took place in the sixties, it was modified the original structure with elimination of internal stairs and replaced by the current external staircase to split the two storey property.
The ceilings of the rooms, 3.60m tall, are made up of beams and bricks that were covered from ceiling to hold the heat from escaping. The first floor room on the east side of the facade, designed in the living room, had a nice fireplace in serene stone. During the renovation of the Hills Road (now Via Don Luigi Sturzo), which took place around the year 1940, having to proceed to raise the new roadway to maintain a constant height difference necessary to water runoff, ANAS built this wall that delimits the ‘area in front of the house’.